Ok, so you’ve come here for specifics on how to cross Persian Gulf by Ferry. The following details how to book your ticket and enjoy your journey.
Firstly, there are a number of crossing routes, which are
- Bandar Abbas, Iran to Sharjah, UAE (The most common route and the route we took)
- Bandar Lengeh, Iran to Dubai, UAE
Then there is the islands of Iran
- Bandar Abbas (Haqqani port) to Hormoz island (our favourite for a day trip)
- Bandar Abbas (Haqqani port) to Qeshm island (a huge island, enough for a 2 day trip)
- Bandar Charak, to Kish island (we did not take this route)
Here is a map with all the significant POI(places of interest) pinned to orient yourself
The following details and our experience is specific to crossing from Bandar Abbas, Iran to Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. We will also provide information and links to all ferry passages, read on!
Here is a very quick recount of our visit to the Iranian Islands of Qeshm and Hormoz. Ferry crossing to UAE after this info, jump there now
There are two main ferry ports in Bandar Abbas. The port in Bandar Abbas from where ferries depart to the Iranian islands, is NOT the same port that departs to UAE.
- The port to the Iranian islands is called Shahid Haqani.
- The port to UAE is called Skahid Bahonar.
The cost one way to either of the islands is 5 USD. The ferry counter and information is very professional. Just arrive at the correct port and the rest is easy!
The islands are magical, Qeshm is enormous with crazy rock formations and Hormuz is like stepping onto another planet. Incredible shades of rocks!
Qeshm Island Attractions – Stars Valley, Portugese castles and Incredible cave structures caused from limestone water geysers!
Hormoz Island Attractions – Nicknamed “the Rainbow island” hire a open taxi driver for the day and explore!
Now, from Bandar Abbas, Iran to Sharjah port, UAE
Unfortunately, the information I am going to give you will not allow you to purchase or reserve a ticket. The best current process requires you to arrive at either Bandar Abbas port or make a reservation with a travel receptionist in Bandar Abbas.
Valfajr ferry company – www.valfajr.ir
After clicking through this website, you will soon see that if you are not iranian, booking tickets online is almost impossible. Bank transaction restrictions are another problem, dont even bother!
A ferry/ship, Valfajr. Predominately Vehicles and passengers. Not a cargo/goods ship
- Bandar Abbas – Sharjah
Monday and Wednesday: 9.00 pm (passenger + cargo: 12 hours)
- Bandar Lengeh – Dubai
Sundays and Tuesdays: 10:00 pm (passenger + cargo: 5-6 hours)
Saturday, Monday and Wednesday: 11:00 am – passengers only, 4.5 hours
• The Ferry leaves from Shahid Bahonar Port
• 3,150,000 Rials (thats about 55 USD) We purchased our tickets in Lar at a travel agency. This was inclusive of our bicycles. I beleive there was a strong commission applied. Expect to pay approx 50 USD
We recommend buying your ticket in Bandar Abbas, read on.
• By boat is a great way to travel, and taking your bicycle on a plane is a pain!
Steps to ensure you have the best chance of safely getting on the Ferry
Before you arrive in Bandar Abbas
- Plan your arrival, remember the boats only leave on Monday and Wednesday. Exploring the nearby islands is great! Bandar Abbas is interesting, but 2 days is more than enough!
- We dont reccomend buying your ticket anywhere but in Bandar Abbas. See next step to where you can buy ticket
When you arrive in Bandar Abbas
Depending on how casual you like to play it, either
- Purchase your ticket at Bala Parvaz Travel Agency in Imam Khomeini Street, Bandar Abbas
- Or, purchase your ticket at the port (see map above), make sure you arrive well before 5pm if you decide on this option.
On the day of Departure
Arrive at the Shahid Bahonar port, well BEFORE 5pm, strict guard security will not allow others in after this time! The port is located right beside the military shipping port. Make sure not to enter the military port. Just ask the security guards, relax, it’s not that scary.
You will present your ticket, with a passport copy and your passport. You will then wait patiently for a couple of hours until your bags and for us, bicycle is all scanned. Spend your last rials as you will not be able to transfer them in UAE. You will pay for your UAE visa (32 durhams p/person by credit card when you arrive)
Be patient, very patient, the boat will leave at approximately 9pm that day.
On the Ferry
• Relax, its a interesting journey. Keep your blanket close or pack a jumper, the air conditioning is freezing
• There is no wifi on board.
• If you are not married, you and your partner will have to seat in different sections (luckily they dont check marriage paperwork). Women – You will need to wear a hijab, one. last. time.
• The food provided is standard Iranian, meat, rice, lavesh and yoghurt.
Arriving in UAE
When you arrive in UAE you will be granted your Visa by Visa/border control officials. You can pay in card. They will direct you where you need to go.
Not sure if you need a prearranged Visa? Click here to find out
Welcome to the United Arab Emirates
Information regarding crossing the Persian Gulf from UAE to Iran
This guy provides an awesome account of how to travel in the opposite direction, click here to redirect to his website
I hope you found the above information useful, please email me If things have changes and I can update the page accordingly.
Please share as needed with your friends looking for more information
p.s feel free to buy us a biscuit or coffee over our donation page via paypal.